Walk Bike and Roll to School Day (WBR2SD) 2019 is coming up on Wednesday, October 2. APS has been participating in this annual international event for nearly two decades. As in past years, all APS schools are participating. The 2019 “focus school,” where APS’ main celebration will take place, is Dr. Charles R. Drew Elementary School.
APS 2019 “Focus School” Celebration
Dr. Charles R. Drew Elementary School
3500 S. 23rd Street, Arlington 22206
*Celebration will take place outdoors on field next to school.
- @ 8:20-9:00 a.m. STUDENTS ARRIVE by bus, bike, walk or drop off and head to field/meet teacher
- 9:00-9:15 a.m. PRINCIPAL GRAVES LEADS SHORT PROGRAM AND PED SAFETY DEMO/SCHOOLWIDE ACTIVITIES
*this will include a See Me Flag demo
- 9:20 a.m. STUDENTS DISMISSED TO ENTER BUILDING / PROCEED TO CLASS
Dr. Charles R. Drew Elementary students (@450 PreK-5th), staff and families
Arlington School Board (invited)
APS Superintendent/Leadership (invited)
Arlington County Transportation/Commuter Services Staff (invited), including WalkArlington, BikeArlington and ATP
Arlington County Police/School Resource Officer
APS Multimodal Transportation Planning / Safe Routes to School Staff
Each year on the first Wednesday in October, schools across Arlington County (and around the world) walk, bike and roll to school in celebration of Walk Bike and Roll to School Day. Arlington has taken part in this international event for nearly two decades, and participation continues to grow each year as APS students, whether new to walking/biking/rolling to school or regular active transportation commuters, celebrate the countless health, environmental, and community-building benefits of active transportation.
As students here in Arlington join schools, families, community partners, and elected officials world-wide in celebrating the joys and benefits of walking and biking to school on October 2, APS will kick off a year of active transportation, redoubling our efforts to make walking, biking and rolling part of the school commute on WBR2SD and every day.
Dr. Charles R. Drew Elementary School was chosen as APS’ “focus school” this year because, as a new NEIGHBORHOOD school, Drew has more walkers and a more localized school community than in the past, AND Drew families are already doing a lot to encourage walking and support pedestrian safety.
HOW (ROLES FOR FAMILIES/GUESTS/VIPs):
Drew family members/VIP guests are invited to join the commute and post-commute festivities as participants or spectators.
Here are some suggestions:
- Organize a walking school bus or bike train or remote drop-off location to meet up with other families and walk/bike to school together (see resources https://www.apsva.us/safe-routes-to-school-overview/resources-srt/)
- Join Drew staff in greeting / high-fiving students arriving on foot, by bike, by school bus starting around 8:30 a.m. (Students will arrive either via the sidewalk in front of school door #1, across the field to the south of school, or along sidewalk dividing field from parking lot.)
- Stand outside the Dr. Charles R. Drew arch to greet students as they approach campus
- Take part in activities / short program on field
- Take photos and tweet #APSWalk2SchoolDay
Contact Lauren Hassel, APS Safe Routes to School Coordinator at email@example.com
More information on APS Walk Bike and Roll to School Day can be found at: https://www.apsva.us/safe-routes-to-school-overview/walkbike-to-school-day/